Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My First O'scope!

A couple of weeks ago, I bought my first oscilloscope. It is a used Tek 2213A (2-chan, 60MHz, analog). (I got a great deal... less than $100 with 2 passive probes.) I've already used it to decode some IR flasher codes and based on that experience, I've already cooked up a hack to make it a "digital storage" scope. I'll post that hack later this week.

Overall, I am happy with the new 'scope. But, I have definitely gotten a little dumbed-down using digital scopes over the years. Seriously, I spent an hour thinking I had bought a dud, trying to figure out where my traces were. I went so far as to open the case to see if any components were visibly fried. Then, I read "step 1" of the service manual. It goes something like "...turn the display intensity knob to max position..." and just like that I was in business. What can I say? I am a little rusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment